Brands B. Siegel Co

B. Siegel Co

Benjamin Siegel, who was born in Germany on March 15, 1860, came to the United States in 1876. In 1877 he began his career in a general merchandise store in Selma, Alabama, later relocating to Detroit, Michigan where he organized the B. Siegel Co. in 1881.

Siegel had started out in Detroit at Heyns Bazaar on Woodward, where he was a department manager for womens apparel. He later rose from department manager to store owner, and changed the name to Siegels.

Relocating in 1904 to 159-163 Woodward Avenue (at State Street) in Detroits downtown business district, the B. Siegel Co. specialized in fine ladies, misses and childrens cloaks, suits and furs. The store had the reputation of being the largest, finest and most complete cloak and suit store in the United States. In 1981, with seven B. Siegels stores in operation in the Detroit area, the company filed for bankruptcy.

Company motto - Where fashion reigns.

Index