Brands Saks Fifth Avenue

Saks Fifth Avenue

Saks Fifth Avenue, originally called Saks & Company, was founded in 1902 by Andrew Saks. Carrying both their own luxurious creations and European designs, Saks & Company merged with Gimbels in 1923. In 1924, the department store moved to Fifth Avenue (between 49th and 50th Streets) in Manhattan, becoming Saks Fifth Avenue. From the beginning it offered the highest quality clothing for men and women. Originally the store was supervised by Horace Saks, but after his death in 1926, Adam Gimbel was made president of the company. He headed Saks until 1969.

By 1931 Sophie Gimbel, wife of the stores owner, was the in-house designer. Salon Moderne, the stores high-end department, carried in-house designs as well as designs by Chanel, Vionnet, Patou, Schiaperelli, Agnes, Reboux and Callot Soeurs. Many famous footwear designers, including Perugia and Vivier cooperated with Saks.
Although the Detroit branch of Saks Fifth Avenue closed, the company is still in business today, however the couture and custom salons along with the millinery department closed in the 1970s.

Index